Good Company Magazine ~ Grace Bonney Design Sponge
Good Company magazine is the wonderful follow up project to Grace Bonney's best-selling book, In The Company Of Women. Grace wanted to continue the conversations from the book in the new format of a biannual magazine (it’s basically a mini-book in terms of size and depth of content) that people can hold in their hands, share with friends, and connect with regularly.
For this debut issue Grace worked with over 75 creatives across a broad range of fields and geographic areas to discuss, honestly and openly, the ups and downs of the creative community. The issue is divided into three sections (Community, Changing Community and Community Health) and in each section we share the stories of people (primarily women and non-binary people) who are using their creative work to create new spaces, lift up underrepresented voices and support the communities around them.
Here’s an overview:
- Group interviews with 15 amazing women discussing what community means to them, challenges in their communities and how they’re overcoming them, and frank discussions about mental health.
- Personal essays about breakdowns, finding connection online and off, and the importance of representation for those living with disabilities.
- Three miniature zines (zines within a zine!) about building intentional community, the history of a cartoonist’s career, and combining art and activism.
- Studio tours with: tattoo artists, wood shop owners, rural business owners, leaders in the world of size-inclusive fashion, and more.
- Interviews with: women changing the world of online media representation, changing the world of book stores, inclusive stock photography, illustration, and more.
- Features on creative businesses that have made giving back and supporting their community a part of their business model.